Kauai, known as the quiet isle, was the perfect place for a “day of rest.” Passing up the canyon tour for the day (later regretted) it was like being on an island all alone. Except for a couple of notes written, the entire day was spent lying in a secluded area and taking in the beauty all around. Paper bags and magazines remained unopened, and paradise was spoiled only once when the nearby active surf washed up a “Big Mac” carton right beneath my feet – – – how tacky!

In my private little section of beach I did have the “mama and the papas” on my heels, along with the babies as well. Sand crabs by the droves covered the beach and at times gave me an uneasy feeling. So did the one inch lizards on the bedroom walls.

A brief shower forced me to leave my retreat, but by the time I reached cover it had stopped. I went back out to the pool bar and got a snack and a most delicious macadamia milkshake, then returned to the beach.

That evening I took a taxi (I use the term loosely – – – more about that later) over to the beautiful Cocoa Palms Hotel and their daily torch lighting ceremony. Fabulous piña coladas from the outside bar overlooking the ceremony. All exotic drinks in the islands are topped with orchids. Orchids are also found in the lettuce at many salad bars and I am told are quite edible. None of our group actually ate them except our eldest member, and he didn’t even know that he had.

After strolling the grounds at Cocoa Palms I took another taxi to Marilyn and Cheryl’s hotel, the Kauai Resort. When I asked how late the taxi ran so I could plan the return to my own hotel, driver told me 9 PM. Thinking this to be rather early for all island transportation to end, we checked with the hotel clerk. He in turn called the taxi company and found out that the driver got off at 9 PM, and had planned to come back for me. Another round of hee-haws. The third driver I encountered however got the final “gold medal.” The taxis were actually small vans with a step up in front that would rival any diesel truck. The first driver opened the bus where it was much easier to get. The second driver opened the front door and helped me into the front seat. The third driver just pulled up and said “hop in up front!” When I requested to sit in the back because it was easier to get in, he exclaimed, “If you sit there then I’ll have to get out and open up the door.” “God forbid” I replied, “I certainly wouldn’t want you to have to do that.” With that, the girls were in hysterical laughter, which only increased as I tried to hoist myself up in long white dress to the plateau above. Finally they both helped me get aboard, and off into the night we went. Right away he informed me his meter wasn’t working and how did $2.00 sound for a fair. I replied that it sounded like too much and we settled on $1.50 of which he kept the 20¢ change for no services rendered. Afterthought: I should have left the door open when I got out so he would have had to get out and close it!